Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What's the weirdest unsolicited pregnancy-related advice you've received?

Someone once told me something really weird about trying to conceive.





Keep in mind that this is my nephew's preschool teacher. She asked when I was going to have a kid because my nephew kept saying he wanted a cousin (which his mom told him he was getting soon ... why, idk).





She said ';You know, I had trouble getting pregnant too. (I didn't say I was having trouble, though.) Tell your husband to try outside. I mean, like, on the front porch or something. That's how I conceived.';





I was floored. I wanted to ask if she realized that she was recommending several crimes, public nudity and lewd behavior among them.What's the weirdest unsolicited pregnancy-related advice you've received?
When I was 6 months pregnant, my boyfriend's female cousin told me ';It's okay to drink! Go ahead, I drank all the time when I was pregnant!';---and she had a miscarriage.. what does that tell you?





Sad :(





Oh, and his mom told me not too reach over my head, because it would pull his cord and give him an umbilcal hernia. I guess she told me that because when she was pregnant with my boyfriend, she did that all the time when she worked, and he was born with one :p lol but that ones not as weird... :|





oh, sorry to add more.. but...


When i was 8 months pregnant, my ';mother-in-law'; came over for dinner and we ate BBQ and watermelon. She kept on telling me ';you're going to go into labor and have him tonight!'; lol she just kept insisting. She said it was because the same thing happened with her (except with pizza) when she was pregnant with my boyfriend... ok... lol weird...What's the weirdest unsolicited pregnancy-related advice you've received?
I was told not to lift my arms over my head because it might cause the umbilical cord to choke the baby.





This never happened and both of my daughters are healthy.
I had HORRIBLE constipation during my 2nd trimester, and I was told to put vaseline on my finger and stick it as far up into my (not baby hole) as I could, and that would fix it. Needless to say, I went ahead and ignored that advice. I would rather just suffer than have something stuck up there.





I was also told that if I poke the baby (to try to get her out of my ribs or something), she will never sleep during the night once she is born.
If I didn't quit eating so much, I'd have to get a ';wide load'; sign for my butt! (True story!)
i was told by a complete stranger one day that i should not be walking in my condition cause i could turn the baby upside down.. try laying down the entire pregnancy and fart alot and you will feel better.. some weird stuff i tell ya lol i heard strange crap like that throughout my entire pregnancy lol both times!
When I was a LARGE 6 months pregnant, a woman on a bus told me I had to drink cod liver oil and get the baby out of me immediatley or I would kill us both.
My grandmother in law would constantly call me %26amp; ask me what I wanted to eat morning, noon noght and inbetween. She said if I did not eat what I was craving our baby would scream all the time %26amp; it would be for the food I craved (weird) so whatever I wanted she would send Grandpa over with, after a couple months and moe than that in pounds I stoped answering the phone
i mentioned that i had a cravin for strawberries...too bad that they weren't in season...i was really wantin them and it was startin to aggravate me bc i couldnt find any...dadada. a lady overheard and told me to just go get a strawberry flavored margarita,it would help to calm down my nerves at the same time....(what??!!!) i calmly tried to explain that i was pregnant, therefore couldnt consume any alcohol, etc. she then said...';oh its not gonna hurt anything, doctors just say u shouldnt bc they dont want u gettin drunk and fallin down and hurting the baby. yea..she did...my reaction exactly!!
Weirdest? Hard to say. One lady told me that if we stood next to each other (she was also pregnant) that our babies could communicate and they'd be friends when they were born. Oh, and another woman (who had no kids, by the way) told me that if I went to childbirth education classes I would have a horrible labor because that's what they teach you there (???). And my best friend tried desperately to convince me that her doctor told her she wasn't allowed to sneeze after 32 weeks because it could cause labor. Unfortunately, she was serious. I wouldn't have believed that she was serious except that she explained to me when she hit 40 weeks and was ready to have the baby she would go in the kitchen and sniff the pepper shaker to make herself sneeze, and she is convinced to this day that that is what caused her labor. Yeah. You know, they say that pregnancy makes the mother-to-be get all brain dead, but I've noticed it must be contagious, because everyone around a pregnant woman seems that way too...
When talking about alcohol consumption during pregnancy, I was told by a fellow pregnant woman that you are allowed to have 6 glasses of wine during pregnancy %26amp; that you could space them out or have them all at once. I told her that it was ridiculous to say that a pregnant woman could have 6 glasses of wine in one night!!! Where do people come up with this stuff?!?
That we shouldn't tell other people that we were expecting until we were only a couple of months away from delivery because they didn't want to have to be ';tortured'; with the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment