Friday, April 30, 2010

If you would be prepared to offer me advice how to speak to my community mental health worker will you answer?

Since January 2005 I have been meeting with a community mental health worker. Her organization is a subsidized housing outfit which supports homeless people. I am a man from the suburbs who lucked onto the waiting list for this organization. Last autumn, 2006, I moved into a homelessness unit. This is my second unit with the organization but my first with my present worker. During the months before I took a unit, she showered me with kindness. Now that I am in the unit, her attitude has changed to include moments of meanness or cruelty, including derisive insults pointed at me and other people in my life. I am pressed to keep these appointments. We meet in public at a diner, and the organization pays her a supplement for gasoline; however I suspect we are out of bounds strictly-speaking in terms of meeting the requirements of meeting at home and going to see doctors. I think my worker would even like me to pay her for gas to go out for coffee with me. What is your advice?If you would be prepared to offer me advice how to speak to my community mental health worker will you answer?
Ask her directly if you have offended her in some way. Ask her why she prefers to meet in public instead of in your home. I was a public mental health worker and while I never was unkind to any of my clients, sometimes there were things about their homes that intimidated me. Just be honest and direct, don't accuse or challenge. If you really want to understand what is going on ask.If you would be prepared to offer me advice how to speak to my community mental health worker will you answer?
My advice would be to quit being a social leach. Start pulling your weight and shoulder your responsibility to pay taxes like the rest of us. I'm tired of supporting your social lameness. So, get off your butt and start accepting your responsibility to the rest of society.

No comments:

Post a Comment